Haben Sie Fragen? Rufen Sie uns an | Do you have questions? Call us: +49 (0) 3574 / 8851-0

buero@kunstguss.de

Historical bells from Lauchhammer

The years The iron bells
1837 Lauchhammer, former factory bell, iron Ø 650 mm in the Lauchhammer Arts Casting Museum
1839 Gröden at Elsterwerda, iron Ø 650 mm, originating from Kostebrau, in the district of Lauchhammer
The years The bronze bells
1852 Schwarzheide, Luther Church, Ø 510 mm, note G, 76 kg, the oldest bronze bell from Lauchhammer
1856 Groß-Bahren at Finsterwalde, Ø 510 mm, note G, 75 kg, not a two-chime bell, the larger ones were melted down in 1917
1921 Buckau at Herzberg, Ø 700 mm, note D flat, from Bavaria at Falkenberg/Elster
1923 Friedersdorf at Doberlug/Kirchhain, Ø 720 mm, note C, from Ahrenshain
1924 Heuersdorf at Borna, Ø 650 mm, note D – the bell was installed in Emmaus Church (Borna) in 2008
Bad Freienwalde, St. Nicolai, Ø 1010 mm, note G
Lauta, Kamenz district, Catholic Church, Ø 600 mm, note E
1925 Lobas at Zeitz, Ø 580 mm, note E
Kostebrau (part of Lauchhammer), Ø 670 mm, note D
Frankfurt/Oder, Luther Institute, Ø 610 mm, note E flat
Reinsberg at Freiberg, Ø 860 mm, note B
Losse/Altmark, 2 bells, Ø 760 and 620 mm, note c and E flat
Reinsberg/Mark, Ø 760 mm, note C
Waren/Müritz, St. Georgen, Ø 970 mm, note A flat
Sabrodt at Hoyerswerda, Ø 660 mm, note D
Klein-Partwitz at Hoyerswerda, Ø 660 mm, note D
Münchhausen at Finsterwalde, Ø 750 mm, note C
Friedrichslohra at Nordhausen, Ø 770 mm, note C
Baruth/Mark, Ø 880 mm, note A
1926 Hamburg-Bergedorf, Ø 1020 mm, note G
Taucha at Leipzig, 2 bells, Ø 1300 and 910 mm, note D and A
Grassau/Altmark, Ø 1080 mm, note F sharp
Lauchhammer South, Friedhof, Ø 720 mm, note C
Meuschau at Merseburg, Ø 630 mm, note E flat
Jamlitz at Beeskow / Brandenburg, Ø 480 mm, note A flat
1927 Wyhra at Borna, 2 bells, Ø 800 and 680 mm, note H and D
Gröditz, Town Church, Ø 850 mm, note B
Kremkau / Altmark, Ø 1020 mm, note G
Oppelhain at Finsterwalde, Ø 760 mm, note C
1929 Berlin, Cathedral, Ø 1,670 mm, note H, approx. 3000 kg, the biggest cast bronze bell, still available in Lauchhammer
Hörlitz at Senftenberg, Savour Church, Ø 660 mm, note D
1931 Berlin, Charlottenburg Technical University, 2 bells Ø 760 and 620 mm, note C and E flat
Premsendorf at Jessen/Elster, Ø 770 mm, note C
Hörlitz at Senftenberg, Catholic Church, Ø 760 mm, note C
1933 Schipkau at Senftenberg, Friedhof, Ø 630 mm, note E flat
1934 Bluno at Hoyerswerda, Ø 600 mm, note
1935 Grünewalde (district of Lauchhammer), Ø 540 mm, note F
Schwarzheide East, Ø 670 mm, note D
Rheinfelden / Swiss border, Ø 1140 mm, note F, remaining bell of the three-chime system h-d-f, which was preserved on a record and dubbed to CDs on the occasion of bell casting recommencement in 1994
1936 Lauchhammer East, Catholic Church, Ø 780 mm, note C, remaining bell of a three-chime system from Lauchhammer Central (Bockwitz). For a while, the bell hung in the now-abandoned church of the “Queen of Peace” in Lauchhammer.
Hermsdorf at Senftenberg, Ø 680 mm, note C sharp
Lichterfeld at Finsterwalde, Ø 630 mm, note E
1937 Hörlitz at Senftenberg, Catholic Church, Ø 760 mm, note C
1939 Halle, Social Service, Ø 850 mm, note B, remaining bell of a two-chime system, last available bell before the 55-year break in casting prior to the year 1994

From 1920 to 1926, steel bell casting work was done in a branch plant of Linke-Hoffmann-Lauchhammer AG in Torgau. Compared with other suppliers, who labelled their hard cast iron bells as cast steel or even sound steel bells, steel was spilled in Torgau. Investigations performed in Eisenhüttenstadt a few years ago confirmed this.

The largest, still-ringing steel bell of this casting era is located in Lucas Church in Dresden. It weighs approx. 5 tonnes, and has a lower diameter of 2200 mm. The steel bell in Elisabeth Church in Breslau, which weighs approx. 6 tonnes and has the note A°, is even bigger. It survived the Second World War and also the fire of the tower in the 1970s.

In the 30s, after the Lauchhammer factory was taken over by the Flick Group, it once again started to cast some bells on its behalf in Gröditz. The largest bell is about the same size as the Dresden Bell, and like the Dresden Bell it has the note B. It sounds in Laubusch at Hoyerswerda.